Wednesday, April 24, 2013

SSTS: A Semester of Science, Technology, and Society (Reflection)

So far I've shown you spider slavery, gene patenting, spider stuff again, and drones.  There are a few other things mixed in there, but I've been showing what others have had to say about x topic, albeit through my own words and analysis.  Now, let me use my words to analyze, well, my own words, about HST 120-B, otherwise known as Professor Vinsel's best class section, because who has even heard of HST 120-A?!

All kidding aside, as I usually say around this point in my blog entries, this class was a true turning point in my career as a Stevens student.  Prior to this, I've never had a such a course.  Last semester's classes were filled with only 15 credits, most used by CAL 105, an introductory Computer Science course, and some other "junk" that I needed to do to kick of my Visual Arts and Technology (VizTech) career.  This semester, credits were upped to 18, and my classes were much more interesting.  Alas, as Professor Vinsel might recall, I had some troubles with this course.  In fact, my entire schedule was based around the fact that I was enrolling in HST 120-A.  But, after moving Badminton elsewhere and re-adjusting some other courses, I took the course and entered section B.

In  fact, this course was something of an accident, as due to a miscommunication with the financial office, I was locked out of course registration for some time, so some of the humanities classes I had intended to take were gone, such as Psychology.  My adviser said it was a good course to take, in a general sense, so I did.  Not expecting much, my expectations were obliterated, as (excuse the sucking up) Professor Vinsel was a professor that made the uninteresting interesting, was very down-to-Earth and kind, and most importantly, was extremely knowledgeable in his field -- he knew his stuff.  Also, the material covered, in addition to the course's structure, was unlike other courses, and the "breath of fresh air" that was HST 120 elevated the class to be much more than a "generally good course."

Now, I don't want this to sound like a course evaluation, because it is starting to, so let me get to my point, so to say.  I entered this course as a VizTech, interested in perhaps donning a Computer Science minor, thinking it might be "best" to have that experience for whatever reason.  CS isn't a passion of mine.  Reading and writing, however, are.  Considering my decision to come Stevens was just before applications were due, and Fordham University was my sole focus, in pursuit of a degree in journalism and classics (Latin), this course reignited a passion I thought could only exist on Fordham's campus.  I now was writing again, on a biweekly basis, reading wonderfully interesting material, and becoming more educated on a field I wasn't even aware of.  Taking this course reminded me that I can still live out my other interests and passion, and even helped me discover a new one, in the STS program.

Thus, I almost immediately realized that I wanted to pursue STS, whether it be through Science Communications or the other STS (there are too many of them; seriously), and restructured my first semester as a sophomore to include three courses in the STS lineup for a double degree.  Perhaps this may seem hasty, but I am certain that my interest won't wane after HST 120.  Why? Well, I could say that this degree is quite complementary to my current one, as design goes hand-in-hand with STS, but that's not the reason I'm sure this isn't a fad.  I know my interest is permanent and genuine because it is a re-ignition of my original passion.  If I become a miniature Professor Horgan, I get to write (and read).  If I become a miniature Professor Vinsel, I get to read (and write).

No matter which direction I go in the STS field, I can't go wrong.  HST 120 exposed me to a wealth of knowledge about STS.  From Merton to Callon, and even Joseph Turow in the case of my final paper, I've learned a great deal.  To avoid repeating myself further, I just want to acknowledge that this course has been instrumental in guiding me to where and what I want to be in life.  From a kid who wanted to write and read Latin out of high school to someone who wants to be a graphic designer, I've had my fair share of uncertain moments.  Finally, though, I am certain.  Is it 100%? Well, it probably won't ever be until I'm situated in a job.  Heck, Pokemon trainer still sounds good to me!  But the point is, all I've learned has transcended regurgitation on a final exam or taking notes for a pop quiz; it introduced to an entire world, much like Pokemon, where there are hundreds of theories, models, and examples that I've yet to learn but want to.  Now that I'm excited, interested, and ready for the coming years, all I have left to do is "catch 'em all."

Adios,

- Frankie

No comments:

Post a Comment